Monday, April 9, 2007

Depart in 5 days: 5 hours

As I begin this blog of our vacation visit to Tokyo, Japan, we are now only 5 days 5 hours away from takeoff. Anthony, Linda and I meet the event with a combination of eagerness and anticipation, but a little uneasiness too. Anthony can't sit still for five minutes on the ground, and I don't fly particularly well. Needless to say, we're hoping for an uneventful flight. Flight path takes us over Alaska...wonder if we'll be able to see anything?


So many sights to see, I'm sure we'll be on the move for the majority of the visit, with Tokyo itself being bigger than New York. We have the great fortune to be able to stay with Linda's brother Mike, his wife Deanna, and the kids, Emilia and Andrew in Tokyo. Mike's employed by Merck in Tokyo and they've been in Japan a little under two years now. They have kept themselves very busy since they arrived, taking in as much of the culture and traveling as much as possible. As they are well acclimated to the ways of the land, we will tap their experience and knowledge to see all that we can during our stay. I'm am looking forward to the gardens, landscapes and ocean views we will see on our side trips. Oh, and the food too !

We already have one side trip planned......an overnight to Kyoto on Wednesday. We'll arrive via the "Bullet" Train, or Shinkansen, which takes a route that meanders through over 300 miles of Japanese landscape, so the trip should be as much an adventure as the destination. Once we arrive, we have a taxi-cab tour of the city scheduled. Kyoto is known for it's Temples, Shrines and Gardens, so it should be a real treat for the eye. We will stay the evening at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto, which is attached to the train station in Kyoto with nice views of the evening city skyline. Numerous fine dining options at the hotel.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Just a couple of things before you go. 1) I can't help you at all because I've never been to Japan, although I can tell you that the prevailing language is Japanese. If you haven't started learning the language yet you might be able to perfect it in the 5 days prior to your flight. I'm told it's quite an easy one to pick up.
2) I had no idea T-LoC was so eloquent in his writing. I guess that answers the pre-nuptual question presented by the elder Ferrante: Is he exciting enough for you? Exciting... yes. Well written... hell yes.
We are feeling some of your concern over the flight and Anthony sitting still. Which brings me to my 3rd and final thought.
3)Have you thought about sedatives? I'm told that a little Darvacet can go a long way.
Also, Please, please, please eat the strangest and most out of the ordinary thing you can find. Just to say you did.
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Deanna Ferrante said...

We cannot wait to see you guys in somewhat less than 5 days 5 hours, now. We are shipping your parents off to the airport in about 10 minutes, and then we only have to wait for your arrival.

You will do fine on the flight, I'm sure. They have kids movies and shows on the flight, but if you have a portable DVD player, it probably couldn't hurt to bring it along. We put something like 20 hours of kids music on an iPod for Emilia, and that keeps her quiet for quite a while...

See you soon. I'll start collecting wierd food for you.

tjones said...

Travel well. Best of luck with the little one during the flight. In the immortal words of Clubber Lang..."I predict pain"

Have a great time, bow as much as possible, karaoke and talk super loud.

Mom & Dad LoCicero said...

Dad & I are so excited you have this opportunity. As we've planned, we'll take you to the airport & also pick you up when you return, our little way of sharing in some of this experience. I am preparing a travel package for our dear Anthony Stephen, full of surprises to keep his mind & hands busy & his tummy happy on the long trip. Hope that will help make the ride more enjoyable for all. See you bright & early Saturday morning, April 14, now 2 days & some hours til departure, for our drive to Detroit Metro. Hoping we can hang out with, & help, you at the airport for awhile. It's no surprise that you're counting the days & hours with anticipation. WOW! What an awesome adventure. Our love & angels on your shoulders

Angela said...

The LoCicero's take Japan, is that like the Muppets Take Manhattan? :) Have a great time and remember to bow when appropriate and take your shoes when entering a home. Oh, and eat lots of sushi for me! Have fun!