Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ginza, First visit to an Onsen - Tuesday

Visited Ginza today to do some shopping. Ginza is about a 20 min ride up the Hibya line (runs out of the Ebisu station near the Yamanote line). We have heard that there are great shops and restaurants and the area is very busy, but hey, what isn't in Tokyo. Most of the shops on the main street are designer boutiques like Gucci, Chanel, Cartier, Luios Vuitton, Tiffany, etc.....so we really went WINDOW shopping. There were some great restaurants, but we ended up at McDonalds.....Linda and I split a Big Mac meal and Anthony had a Hamburger kids meal. I was shocked when the cashier spoke great English and our total came to only 360 Y, which is about $3......It's because I didn't order meals, I ordered only sandwiches. Tasted just like Mickey D's from home, though. McDonalds offers an Ebi patty (shimp patty served just like a chicken sandwich). Also offer a Teriyaki burger, looked like a regular hamburger with brown sauce on it...They only had stools to sit and only for about 20 people inside, so we ate quickly and made it out for some sightseeing.

Ginza is also known for it's shows, and since Anthony won't sit quietly for long, that wasn't an option. Really not much to do unless you are ready to spend some serious cash, or take in a show, so it was a brief trip and we were home within a couple hours.

Michael and I visted an Onsen (hot spring bath) somewhat near the Ferrante ranch (only a 15 min train ride and 15 min walk) . This particular Onsen is much like a resort with extensive bathing facilities, a small restaurant, a bar, segregated bathing areas for men and women with different types of pools, as well as a non-segregated tub where you must wear a suit. When we arrived, we were given a key to a locker attached to a rubber bracelet, as well as a small robe, and two towels....one being a towel to dry and the other is a privacy towel. You take the privacy towel with you in the Onsen in case you'd like to shield yourself, although the whole experience was completely natural and I never felt the need to "cover up". At the mixed pool we found there was big screen TV playing a game show which, Michael and I agreed, really zapped the mystique.

Since Onsens are natural, the custom is to wash and rinse your entire body very well before entering, and it's also courteous to others as you are all soaking in the same water. Any contamination would require the pools being drained (and would really piss off the patrons and management and would result in your being rudely thrown out). I don't know if all of the Onsens are the same, but the bathing area at this Onsen had a stool and a small bowl and several types of soaps and shampoos. You sit on the stool, naked, and operate a two headed spout, one with a shower head and one with the standard bath spigot. I soaped and rinsed twice to ensure I was really clean, using gallons of water and lots of soap. Almost everything in Japanese life is minimalistic, but the use of water and soap is unlimited in an Onsen, so it's a real a treat.

The color of the water was that of brown tea, although I understand all of them are slightly different. There were several pools to choose from, and we tried a couple just to see what each offered, including one that was outside, and one inside.....They were all pretty hot, so we didn't stay in very long. You don't shower afterward as that would result in the removal of the minerals in the Onsen that are absorbed through your skin and have healing properties. Very relaxing, and I didn't feel a bit uncomfortable in this new experience. I think that a visit to an Onsen is a "Must" for any visitor. These folks really know how to relax (thinking of changing my middle name to "Onsen")

Outside of the Sony Building, Spiderman is coming....

The Ginza Station



Sorry, no pictures of the Onsen.......they strongly discourage taking your camera into a bathing area....

No comments: