Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Jet Lag&Wet Weather, We Visit Meiji Jingu Shrine then indoor to Tokyo Midtown Mall



Now that we have been in Japan for a couple days we are just about fully recovered from the jet lag. As Michael predicted, the first couple nights found us wide awake at about 3am. The weather has been a little damp thus far, and the temps are in the low 50's, but that has not kept us from doing some sightseeing locally. We're getting a crash course in using the local transportation system, which, fortunately for us, is in English as well as Japanese. Our first stop was Rappongi....Deanna accompanied us on a trip to Meiji Jingu Shrine, deemed the most important Shinto Shrine in Tokyo
I understand that New Years day brings in millions of visitors to the shrine. The entrance to the shrine is easily identified by the massive gateway double span made from humongous cedar trees. The path to the actual shrine is very wide to accommodate the masses of people visiting, and I estimate at half a mile long.


On the trail to the shrine are huge containers of Sake donated by local distilleries, diplomats of foreign governments, wealthy executives and the like.


Before you enter the formal shrine you go through a cleansing ritual where you wash your hands using cups with long handles. On the left side of the picture.
The architecture of the shrine was quite impressive with ornate wood carvings, a copper roof and large courtyard We made an offering at the shrine as is customary, then viewed the Ema boards, which represent the prayers and wishes for good fortune.

Our second stop was to Tokyo Midtown which is a newly completed commercial development, equivalent to a "High-end" mall with numerous restaurants and shops. The place was pretty busy, but only slightly crowded in comparison to the weekend crowd, according to Deanna. Linda, Anthony and I ate lunch at the Noodle Works. Anthony insisted on eating the noodles with chopsticks, and to our surprise, he was quite good at it !!!


We walked around a bit when Linda noticed a nice "dress" jacket in the window of one of the shops. The price on the jacket was 125,000 Y, which equates to about $1,000USD, so we didn't end up making that purchase.

We were going to go out for dinner tonight, but the rain kicked up and we decided to eat in, ordering a Pizza from Dominoes. Pizza is not a cheap food in Tokyo, with our large pie costing in excess of $25......Yes, for a single large Pie !! We supplemented with a home-tossed salad. Food is very expensive in Tokyo (really, what isn't ?), but the quality is EXCELLENT. I don't think I've seen a blemish on a piece of fruit, or a vegetable since I arrived. I was thinking about purchasing a bottle of Pomegranate Juice, but it was $24. Really puts into perspective what you "Need" and what you think you need.

After dinner, Michael and I went to purchase tickets to Kyoto via the Shinkansen, or bullet train. The high-speed trains are part of the national system, not the local system, and didn't have the English instructions posted, so I didn't do anything but listen to the conversation. There were a lot of questions that needed to be asked and I would not have been able to understand enough, so it was a real blessing to have the him handle this for us (especially considering he is in serious pain and discomfort due to his fall in the bath). Thanks again Michael. We leave tomorrow morning to stay the night at the Hotel Granvia, which is attached to the train station (great for us newbies). We had planned to take a taxi tour of the city, but there is a day's worth of activities within walking distance. We plan to visit several shrines, temples and gardens during our stay.

Pictures and links to follow, once I can figure out the downloading to the Ferrante's PC. More later.....

No comments: