We've been here for a few days now and I've made some observations I'd like to share with you. These are not in order, but as I recall them I'll list them out:
1. I'm really tall. Seriously, I'm not all that short anymore. Not that I've grown, but when you put things in perspective, I'm not all that short. Pretty cool.
2. Japanese fashion. I think that may be an oxymoron. We've seen SO many different versions of what would be considered fashionable, I'm just beside myself. If I ever wear black or lace leggings with red 3" heels, and then walk 3 miles to work, I'll be considered a norm here in Tokyo. These are not even the 'punk' or 'alternative' type dress, but more of what you see everyday on the street. The other thing, skin tight jeans, peg legged, with ballet slippers. Some may like it, but I really don't get that look. We've also seen a lot of above-the-knee stockings with short shorts and heels. I think Todd likes that look, but I'm not sure Lesley would let us wear that in the office . . . I'll have to ask her . . .
3. The buildings/architecture. They truly utilize every inch available to them on their property. The front walks often hold their potted plants, bikes, vending machines (a whole other story), strollers, etc. The buildings are built about 6" (if that, and that's in inches, not feet) apart and every nook and cranny is filled with something. Most of the buildings are built with a half story going down and two stories (at least) going up. American, or "Western", floor plans are very different, and really cater to the "Western" attitude of showing off what they have. We've seen a lot of "pocket" doors, built in closets and cupboard space, and only buying what you can carry. So few people have their own vehicles, people pretty much buy only what they can carry home.
4. I'm not that short. There are SO many people here WAY shorter than me.
5. The food. The food here is good. Some of it the same, some of it's different than what we thought it would be. One meal we really liked was a noodle dish. Turns out it wasn't so much Japanese-style, but more Italian. Go figure. Anthony loved it and ate the whole meal with his chopsticks. He's getting good at that, but we don't do it too often. It seems like most of the food we've eaten has been on the go, or pizza. (It seems like we've been eating our way through Italy, not Japan). Anthony has enjoyed the fresh fruits and vegetables tremendously, and something that resembles hot dogs (not sure what that was). They serve their 'scrambled eggs' slightly on the WAY runny side, so much so that Anthony thought they were Macaroni & Cheese. The bacon is undercooked and for breakfast we've seen a lot of dried fish, or something that resembles dried fish. Deanna cooked us dinner here our first night and it was good. Sort of like a chicken broth and vegetable soup. There is meat that gets cooked in at the last minute and it's just delicious. Overall, I'm craving a sandwich from Potbelly's or that garlic-chicken thing Deb and I have for lunch on Fridays. Something really recognizable and that I know Anthony will eat. That would be great.
6. Americans (at least those of us that live in Metro Detroit) don't walk enough. We've walked Emilia to school a couple of days this week (it's about a 20 - 30 minute walk) and poor little Anthony is just exhausted. We'll walk to the train or subway station, sit for a few minutes, then walk some more. He's been just beside himself with all the walking. And since strollers are for babies he will not ride in one. My feet hurt at the end of the day, but in a good way. We've walked up hills (to see a Temple, and to go to a playground), down stairs (subways), escalators (subways, trains, etc), crossed major streets and been almost run over by taxis. The good thing is that we've probably lost some weight since we've been here. Todd's belt has gone down at least two notches (could it be my cooking, or lack thereof?). We can't seem to get Anthony to the point where he's full; he'd eat all day if he could. He's been burning off so many calories, I just can't keep him full. If I could figure out a way to do it, we'd drive less and walk more at home. We'll have to figure that one out. . . .
That's it for now. Anthony is hungry again and this time he wants ice cream. It's only 11:30 in the morning, but he's eaten two full meals already, so I'm cool with that.
PS. I'm still new at this blogging thing, Linda wrote this, but at the bottom it says Todd did. Sorry about that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
No, really, you ARE that short. But, I'm sure you are much more sensible in the fashion department!In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen you in 3" red heels.
Anyway, I hope you are taking lots and lots of pictures to share upon your return. Including pictures of the "fashion".
As far as what is going on in the States... as usual the news focuses on doom and gloom. 30+ people shot and killed at Virginia Tech by a lone gunman; flooding in New Jersey; global warming; gas prices jump 30 cents in a day; Sanjaya finally voted off American Idol; and Larry Birkhead is the father of Anna Nicole Smiths kid. Yeah, that about covers it. You're not missing a thing!!
My day is filled with tending to a crying teething baby and playing games chosen by 3 1/2 year old. Man, playing "cars" or "Darth Vader" can get pretty boring. So, your blog is quite an enjoyable distraction for me.
Hey, where's Megan? I thought she was coming along?
Post a Comment